Recently, Scott Hanselman challenged software developers to blog more – to stop “wasting their words.”
He emphasized how important it is to own your own domain and content and so I looked for a way to self-host a WordPress blog, for free. (I chose WordPress because I previously had a WordPress-hosted blog)
Here’s how to do it:
1) Sign up for Microsoft BizSpark** program.
2) Sign up for Windows Azure using the BizSpark Azure benefits
3) Create a new WordPress blog website (from the gallery)
4) Create a CNAME with your domain registrar to point your www name to the name Azure gives you.
5) In Azure, convert your site from “Shared” to “Reserved” in the Scale section.
6) Add your www name into the website configuration of Azure
There you go, free blog for 3 years.
**There are certain eligibility requirements for the BizSpark program, so please make sure you qualify before going down this path.